Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Summer Bummer


Summer is right around the corner... Guess who needs a job? Oh yes, yours truly. I need that cashola. It's a bummer, because most places aren't hiring or they don't like the temporary factor. Blows. Come autumn, I'm outa hurr. Plus, I'm a picky and stubborn person. I don't always respond well to authority. Never could I ever wait tables or serve any kind of food. Gross. I would not feel comfortable serving people I know. I'd feel way too submissive. Not a good fit.

Retail is alright. Sort of sucks. Discounts on clothes are sick. I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch during my senior year of high school. I still have a ton of A&F clothes, but I could never work there again. No minimum wage, thank you very much. Last week, I called the new American Apparel that opened super close to my house about job openings. The chick on the phone was helpful, told me they had an opening & to bring in my resume & some pics to get a feel for my style. So, the next day, as instructed, I delivered my resume with some pictures. Now, I'm constantly in American Apparel shopping, but the usual girls I know who work there were unfortunately not on duty. I finally found a girl working and asked her who I would see about turning in my resume. She shyly pointed to this chick with one of those bull nose rings, so I walked over, introduced myself and explained the phone convo I had the day before. This girl then says "Oh, okay, well, yeah, we'll keep this in our file and call you when we have an opening." Ummm hello WTF. The chick on the phone said they had an opening. Hella sketch right? I'm gonna bring my resume to the other Apparel in Paly and see what happens. Wish me luck.

One of the most rewarding jobs I ever had was at this upscale tanning salon. I would love to work at another one. Basic duties include smiling, being friendly, being tan and selling lots of tans and tanning lotions. Fabulous. Since I had to get certified by the Smart Tan Network, I now know, like, all the science behind tanning. I'm pretty much a pro. The only problem is there's a limited number of reputable salons in the area, and most are not currently hiring. My family, however, has a house in Santa Cruz. I'm thinking about applying to some salons over in the Cruz and Capitola and I could just live there for the summer. Rad idea. I'd just work and tan and surf, like, all day. Sweet life. - Well that idea is now out of the question. Just checked with the parentals and it looks like my grandparents will be inhabiting the beach house for the majority of the summer. Another bummer. 

Guess I'll have to work on the local employment opportunities for now... oh yeah, I've gotta plan Independence Day 2009. I'm thinking Lake Tahoe. South Shore? We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment