Sunday, May 24, 2009

I Know What Ice Fishing Is


Titanic might possibly be one of the greatest movies, ever, to watch after a break up. Or maybe it wasn't even a break up. Maybe you just can't be with the one you want. 

The 1997 Oscar winning film is regarded as one of the greatest love stories of all time. Only with this story, there are just a few days of bliss and no happy ending - all too familiar to my romantic histories. First of all, the movie's score alone is beautifully tragic, perfect for enhancing a myriad of emotions. I coyly admit that I will listen to the theme by itself when I feel particularly depressed. The violin assists feeling, but instills a sense of hope at the same time... if that makes sense.

It also eases heartbreak to know that Jack never tells Rose that he loves her. Never. He says "that's what I love about you, Rose" which is certainly not the same as "I love you." Even when Mr. Dawson is nearing his death in the freezing Atlantic, he can't even manage to get those three words out. Maybe he didn't have to say it. Maybe Rose already knew. Maybe he didn't really love her. Maybe you don't always need to say it. Maybe it doesn't need to be real love to be any less a love story. 

All I know is that it is past 1 AM and I am awake, alone and lonely - my only company a doomed pair of lovers and their fellow ill-fated passengers. 

My heart will go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment