Wednesday, June 3, 2009

"Those are Lovely Pearls"


The first time I saw the film Freedom Writers, I wasn't that impressed. I thought "great, another movie about a teacher who empowers ghetto underprivileged high schoolers." But then I watched it again. And again. And I realized, I love these movies. I wouldn't quite call it a guilty pleasure kinda thing, but I love the optimism these teachers have. The fact that most of these movies seem to be based on true stories just makes it all even better. Dangerous Minds, the true story of a teacher at Carlmont High School (which my private high school was around the corner from), is a really great watch. Michelle Pfiefer plays a new teacher who is very positive and optimistic about her students' education and their life experiences. This was when Carlmont began bussing students in from East Palo Alto, which is, like, really ghetto, no offense EPA. Freedom Writers is essentially the same. You've got your socially privileged, white, female teacher, a new group of underprivileged and violent teenagers, and in the end lessons are learned and everybody grows bla bla bla. I just go through a total culture shock when I watch these movies, especially looking at the race relations in Freedom Writers. It's crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment